Great news for our Nippers Water Program…
First, big thanks to everyone that worked so hard on the program last year.
It’s a new year and we have some exciting news that will take our water training program to the next level. The Academy board has extended their coaching program to support the existing program and our Nipper competitors.
This means the best practices that have driven the success of the Open squad will also flow to the development of our younger competitors. The coaching program when fully up and running will offer our nipper group with training options on 4 afternoons per week and Saturday mornings.
We don’t expect kids to train every day, the increased number of sessions is aimed at providing flexibility for Nippers to slot their surf based training around their afternoon swim squad commitments.
New Coaching Staff
We have even more exciting news. The Academy has managed to secure two outstanding coaches whose primary focus will be on supporting and developing our Nippers.
Alisha Miller – As a competitor Alisha’s achievements were outstanding – Multiple Australian Gold Medals, Ten interbranch teams – a number as captain, NSW Team rep and captain and Australian under 21 Team representative. Alisha also spent a couple of seasons coaching Nippers with significant success at Queensie.
Jonno Stock – As a competitor Jonno raced in the KNG series and was victorious in a NSW State Open Ironman. He had the honour of racing for his state in 6 consecutive years and is an Australian Gold Medallist. Jonno has been a lead coach at Manly Nippers over the last three seasons and has played a significant role in the success of Manly’s nipper program at a state and national level.
Alisha and Jonno will also spend some time through the season helping with the open program, in particular our under 15 and under 17 competitors, Jonno and Alisha report through to James Brooks. Please give them a big Newport welcome when you meet them.
The squad structure is very easy to understand this season, all hardboard paddlers (11 to 13) are in the Shark squad and all soft boards are in the Orcas.
Anyone who didn’t compete regularly last year regardless of age will start in the Dolphin squad before moving to one of the competition squads. We will also run an Iron squad which will be by invitation.
A summary of the training schedule is here. The key points are as follows:
- Training started on 9 August (don’t worry if you missed it – just come to the next session)
- Initially the days of training will be Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
- Tuesday and Saturday sessions are for everyone, the Thursday session will be for Sharks and Orcas only
- In September as the weather gets warmer a Wednesday by invitation Iron session will be added.
- To help new and developing paddlers move quickly to competition squads an intro/skills session will be added to the schedule on Friday afternoons for the Dolphin group
- We will run a camp in January 2017 at Newport with strong commitment expected by competitors in the lead-up to Branch and State Championships info TBA
Parent Support/Requirements for Training
- We need the ongoing help of parents to run a successful training program. At least one parent is required to regularly assist from each competition family
- Assistance can either be:
- Water safety – This is critical so we will be reaching out to all bronze parents for help.
- Officials – Parents without their bronze will be asked to do their Level 1 Official’s course (if not already accredited)
- We will run a roster system this year to spread the load
- We are in discussions about water safety counting towards patrol hours
- We will also adopt a no parent zone on the beach (clearly this does not apply to parents helping in the session) during training to mirror the Academy approach
Anyone who would like to use a Club board for the season should apply by sending a text message asap to Nick 0425262753.
Include your child’s name, age group for this season, weight in kilograms.
Board loan sessions will be organised based on demand. Costs for the season are:
- Soft boards $50
- Soft race boards $75
- Hard boards $100
- Kracka race boards $150
- Long boards $200
Please open and print out the board-loan-agreement and return to Nick if you wish to hire a board for the season.
Click here to go back to the Nippers Competition page.